News Releases / 2013
CMHS Symposium on Oct. 12 to Focus on Cancer Screening
Ventura, California, 09/30/2013
Learn more about cancer screening at a free symposium Community Memorial Health System is holding on Saturday, Oct. 12 at the Ventura Beach Marriott.
The annual Cancer Symposium offers presentations by leading physicians and specialists on a variety of Cancer Screening topics including the latest guidelines, debates and stories. "Cancer Screening: Too Much or Too Little, What's the Truth?" will run from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Opening remarks by moderator Thomas Fogel, M.D., will be followed by local physicians and specialists addressing the following topics:
- Guidelines for lung cancer screening for lung cancer survivors and other at-risk groups, by Thomas Brugman, M.D.
- Lung cancer screening using low dose CT scans, by Irwin Grossman, M.D.
- Prostate cancer: early detection method and proper management, by Duke Bahn, M.D.
- How to have fun in the sun and avoid melanoma, by Samuel Bern, M.D.
- Gynecology screenings, by Lois Barnes, M.D.
- Colorectal cancer screening, by Benito Pedraza, M.D.
- The debate over Prostate-Specific Antigen testing: To test or not to test, by Marc Beaghler, M.D.
- Breast cancer screening, by Jennifer Kosek, M.D.
- Stories from the front lines: Take-home message from a family doctor, by Victoria Sorlie-Aguilar, M.D.
A light continental breakfast is offered before the event, at 7:30 a.m.
The symposium is co-sponsored by the American Cancer Society, the Breast Center at Community Memorial Hospital, CMH Cancer Resource Center, Coastal Radiation Oncology Medical Group, Grossman Imaging Center, Kaiser Permanente, Ventura County Hematology Oncology Specialists and KVTA radio.
The Ventura Beach Marriott is located at 2055 E. Harbor Blvd. in Ventura.
Space is limited, and reservations are required. Call 800/428-1749, or visit www.cmhshealth.org/rsvp.
Community Memorial Health System is a not-for-profit health system, which is comprised of Community Memorial Hospital, Ojai Valley Community Hospital, and 12 family-practice health centers entitled Centers for Family Health. The health system is located in Ventura County, California.