News Releases / 2015
Breast Cancer is Focus of FREE CMHS Symposium on Oct. 3
Ventura, California, 09/16/2015
Breast cancer, the second-leading cause of cancer-related deaths in women, will be the focus of a free symposium Community Memorial Health System is holding on Saturday, Oct. 3, at the Ventura Beach Marriott.
The symposium, which provides the latest information on breast cancer detection, imaging and the latest concepts on treatment options and support for women with breast cancer, runs from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. with a light continental breakfast and coffee are offered at 7:30 a.m. The Ventura Beach Marriott is located at 2055 E. Harbor Blvd.
Opening remarks by moderator Thomas Fogel, M.D., will be followed by local physicians and specialists addressing the following topics:
- Genetic counseling for breast cancer, by Danielle Sharaga, M.S.
- Breast cancer surgery – the latest advancements and techniques, Constanze Rayhrer, M.D.
- Lymphedema therapy, by Claudia Steele-Major, P.T.
- Breast reconstruction, by Michael Pickart, M.D.
- Radiation therapy for breast cancer, by Thomas Fogel, M.D.
- Immunotherapy for breast cancer, by Kevin Chang, M.D.
- Diagnostic imaging for breast cancer, by Winifred Leung, M.D.
The symposium is co-sponsored by the American Cancer Society, the Breast Center at Community Memorial Hospital, Cancer Support Community, CMH Cancer Resource Center, Grossman Imaging Center, CMHS HealthAware, the McKesson Foundation, the YMCA and KVTA radio.
Registration is free but reservations are required. Visit www.cmhshealth.org/rsvp or call Brown Paper Tickets at 1-800/838-3006.
Future scheduled Speaker Series events include: the Role of da Vinci Robotic Surgery on Oct. 20 at Community Memorial Hospital; the Latest in Food Allergies on Nov. 5 at the Courtyard by Marriott Oxnard; Ethics in Healthcare: Should Your Doctor Be Your Friend? on Nov. 12 at the Museum of Ventura County; TEDMED 2015 on Nov. 19 at the Museum of Ventura County, and Celiac Disease on Dec. 1 at Community Memorial Hospital.